This handsome building dates from 1606. It replaced the first ‘School House’ of c.1555. It took two years to build and was financed partly by donations from neighbouring gentry. For over 200 years the entire School was taught here.

Until the introduction of central dining in the 1975, the Old School Room was used as the dining room for School House. On the panelling and windowsills (made from old desk tops) are carved the names of former pupils dating mainly from the 19th century, with a few from the 17th century.

Set into the windows are the coats of arms of former Headmasters, together with those of four distinguished Old Shirburnians who became Vice-Chancellors of Oxford and Cambridge: J.S. Boys Smith, F.J.Lys, H.R. Dean and M.W. McCrum.

The Old School Room was refurbished in 2006 when some of the late 19th century ‘improvements’ were removed and the original character of the building was restored. The design, by eminent architect Robert Maguire, put back the Blue Lias stone floor and pale ceiling, with the additional 21st century comforts including under-floor heating and modern lighting.



  • Seating: 40
  • Standing: 60

Perfect for:

  • Small wedding receptions
  • Lunches/dinners
  • Pre-party drinks
  • Meetings/conferences


Private Hire

Flickr album: Old School Room, Sherborne School | Height: auto | Theme: Default | Skin: Default Skin

Panoramic View